October 14, 1990 - April 20, 2015
Avon Lake, Ohio | Age 24
Daniel Joseph Wolanski, (DJ) age 24, passed away at his home in Mahoning County on April 20th, 2015 as the result of a heroin overdose.
DJ was born October 14, 1990, the son of Michael and Lisa (Luznar) Wolanski. The family moved to Avon Lake in 2004. He graduated from ALHS in 2009 and attended one year of college at the University of Cincinnati, until his parents pulled him out due to failing grades. Shortly thereafter, DJ's addiction took over.
DJ will always be remembered for his comical and charismatic personality, his ability to engage an entire room with his fantastic smile, and his love of dancing, playing video games, Star Wars, movies and the Cleveland Browns. Over the course of DJ's life, he made many bad decisions including experimenting with drugs. Unfortunately, his five year addiction and battle with heroin took over. His family and friends truly loved him and tried everything from being supportive to tough love as he struggled with his own inner demons and heroin.
DJ is survived by his parents- Michael and Lisa Wolanski (Luznar); sister- Alyssa Wolanski, paternal grandparents- Michael and Veronica Wolanski; boyfriend -Stephen Eugene Hall, Jr. from Austintown, OH; two grandmothers and numerous aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends.
DJ often talked about the growing number of friends that he had lost to this destructive drug and how it destroyed families. They used to say it takes a community to raise a child. Today, we need to say that it takes a community to battle addiction. Someone you know is battling addiction; if your "gut instinct" says something is wrong, it most likely is. Get involved. Do everything within your power to provide help. Don't believe the logical sounding reasons of where their money is going or why they act so different. Don't believe them when they say they're clean.
A Celebration of Daniel's life will take place on Saturday, May 2nd from 4:30 pm – 8:30 pm at Spevock's Nautical Lanes in Avon Lake Ohio.
Friends have started a Go Fund Me Account to assist the family with expenses as DJ did not have any insurance.